The raison d'etre of this website is to provide you with hard scientific information which may help you make informed decisions in your quest for health (so far I have blogged concise summaries of over 1,500 scientific studies and have had three books published).

My research is mainly focused on the effects of cholesterol, saturated fat and statin drugs on health. If you know anyone who is worried about their cholesterol levels and heart disease, or has been told to take statin drugs you could send them a link to this website, and to my statin or cholesterol or heart disease books.

David Evans

Independent Health Researcher

Tuesday, 15 March 2011

High carbohydrate diets are associated with an increase in incidence of coronary artery disease

This post features a synopsis of a study published in Metabolism Volume 32, Issue 1, January 1983, Pages 52-56 and a recipe for a lamb curry.

Study title and authors:
Plasma glucose, insulin and lipid responses to high-carbohydrate low-fat diets in normal humans*1
Ann M. Coulstonb, a, George C. Liub, a and Gerald M. Reaven, a, b,
a Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, California, USA.
b Veterans Administration Medical Center, Palo Alto, California, USA.
Corresponding author. Address reprint requests to Dr. Gerald M. Reaven, Department of Medicine, Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Rm. 182B, Veterans Administration Medical Center, 3801 Miranda Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304.
*1 Supported in part by the Research Services of the Veterans Administration, the General Clinical Research Centers Branch of the NIH (RR-70) and by NIH Grant HL-08506.

This paper can be accessed at:

The study investigated the effects of two diets. One at 40% carbohydrate of calories (Lower Carb), the other at 60% carbohydrate of calories (Higher Carb). Insulin, triglyceride (TG) and high density lipoprotein (HDL)-cholesterol concentrations were analysed.                                               Books: Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
The study found that:
(a) (Bad) Triglyceride levels were increased on the higher carb diet.
(b) (Bad) Insulin levels were increased on the higher carb diet.
(c) (Good) HDL-cholesterol concentrations were decreased on the higher carb diet.

The authors conclude: "These results indicate that high-carbohydrate diets lead to changes in insulin, TG, and HDL-cholesterol concentrations which have been associated with an increase in incidence of coronary artery disease".

More information on this subject: Books : Scientific Studies : Websites : Videos : Food Mall

Recipe of the day

Lamb Curry
2 T coconut oil                                                                                          Food Mall: Boneless Lamb
Lamb Leg - Boneless1 lb cubed lamb meat or lamb stew meat
1 large or 2 medium onions
3-4 carrots
1 T grated ginger root
3 cloves of garlic
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 c broth
1 c coconut milk

Cut the onion into large pieces and chop the carrots into 1-inch lengths, set aside.

Melt the coconut oil in a large pot and brown the meat. Remove the meat and set aside, leaving the fat in the pan.

Saute the onions on mediumuntil they soften, about 10 minutes. Then add the garlic, ginger, and curry powder and saute a little longer. Add the carrots and continue to stir to coat them with the spice mixture.

Pour in the stock and scrape up any brown bits that are still stuck to the bottom of the pan from browning the meat. Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer.

Add the meat back in and simmer for 30 minutes.